Ramcor (Property 9) (18BC85)
Site 18BC85 was located on the former Ramcor property (also known as Property 9). It was bounded by Eutaw Street to the east, West Lee Street to the south and west, and
Barre Street to the north. Before Lee Street was realigned sometime between 1900 and 1914, Little Green Street extended south to bisect Property 9. Today, the site is
covered by Camden Yards, the stadium for the Baltimore Orioles.
At the turn of the nineteenth century, Property 9 was the site of a ropewalk. George Warner, Jr. was the major property owner in the area in 1837, at which time the property
did not appear to be developed. By the mid-nineteenth century, development was underway, especially along Eutaw Street. Residences had been constructed on most of the Eutaw
Street lots by the end of the 1850s, although there was one four story warehouse, owned by Warner, at the northwestern corner of Eutaw Street and Welcome Alley. The structures
appeared to have been standard rowhouses—2 to 3 story brick structures with ell additions. By the end of the century, commercialization of the Eutaw Street area had displaced
some residences and modified others. The businesses included several stores, a cooper shop, a stable, a cabinet factory and a stone yard. The Lemkuhl’s bottling works occupied
the former warehouse and was later taken over by Schlitz Brewing Company. By the early 20th century, a wholesale grocer and table factory occupied the property and by the mid-20th
century, the Eutaw Street frontage was occupied almost entirely by warehouses associated with a wholesale grocer’s corporation. Residents of the block in the late 19th and early
20th centuries were primarily Irish, German, English and Italian immigrants occupied in both skilled and unskilled professions.
This site was examined as part of the larger Camden Yards project conducted by R. Christopher Goodwin and Associates between October 1989 and March of 1990. A series of eight
trenches were machine excavated in Property 9; excavation focused on a series of stone foundations fronting along Eutaw Street. Only one foundation (Feature 7701) really discussed
in any detail. This stone foundation was discovered in Trench 77; several excavation test units were placed in the vicinity of the foundation. Testing of the foundation’s builder’s
trench in one of the excavation units (E.U. 3) revealed that the building was constructed sometime after 1840. Both excavation units 3 and 4 revealed various layers of sheet midden
adjacent to the foundation that appeared to be associated with mid- to late nineteenth-century occupation of the property. These artifacts were primarily residential in nature and
included kitchenware, faunal remains and oyster and clam shell. The ceramics suggest that occupation of the property began in the second quarter of the nineteenth century and
continued until later in the century. It was concluded that the stone foundation, like the other rowhouses in this area, was constructed after around 1850. If this conclusion
is correct, then it is likely that at least some of the midden remains were generated during the ownership of grocer W. H. Mayer.
(Written by Patricia Samford)